2/05/2012

"Fuzzy matches" - make me feel fuzzy all over ...

When talking about CAT tools, the term "fuzzy matches" keeps popping up. In theory I understand what that is supposed to mean, but .....
this always comes with "strings attached", if I may say so.

First, when Japanese companies send me work, even translation of manuals etc., the companies already "check" for those portions that are identical or almost identical and deal with those. I get ONLY what is different. That means, I don't get any chance to encounter any fuzzy matches.
Second, even if the CAT tool DOES present me fuzzy matches, I will have to CAREFULLY compare the presented versions and edit as required, in front, at the end, in between, changing word order etc ...
Usually, I would finish my job a lot easier and quicker, when I type it entirely new then doing all the "editing". I have not yet bothered actually COUNTING the key strokes that would be required for such editing and compared that to typing, but I suspect the count may actually be higher ... at least that is my impression.

So, if editing "fuzzy matches" actually requires the same amount of effort (and time) as typing a new translation, I fail to see why the work invested into fuzzy matches should be cheaper. Or am I missing something important?

Well, I mentioned it before, with ONE SINGLE exception, so far all attempts at using the CAT tool "memoQ through one year have made my work (and my life!) MORE difficult ...

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment