9/12/2014

Connectivity

The other day (do not remember how far back that was) I apparently applied to a job ad on Proz.com.
After quite some while, I received a "generic" from a company called "Text United GmbH" reply telling me the following:

"Dear fellow translator,
Please follow the instructions below carefully in order to be available to us and, hopefully, establish a collaboration with us. You will be eligible to receive projects from Text United as soon as you complete a short registration process.
You can do this in 3 simple steps:
1.       Register on the Text United website (www.textunited.com, please use the “Professional translator? Join” link in the upper right corner)
2.       Download and install our free App
3.       Fill in the basic information, relevant rates and language combinations (in the App)
NOTE: We need all of your information (language combinations, rates, phone number(s) etc.) entered into our App in order to be available to allocate you to jobs. Otherwise we will have only your name and surname and cannot work with that."


To which I then replied:
"Well, I have been working as a freelance translator over a period of 30 years for a few hundred agencies.
NO company has EVER required the installation of a company specific tool just to offer me work.
This shows clearly, that there IS NO need for such a tool. All other companies do just fine without it. (not even the Chinese!)
As a professional the person in charge should know that I have signed NDAs with all the companies/agencies I work for.
These NDAs usually include stipulations that forbid the presence of any sort of file sharing software on the service provider's computer. These NDAs are legally binding.
Since I have absolutely no idea what exactly your "free app" will do and only your word that it is safe ...
I cannot and will not risk everything I build in 30 years."

Or is it me? Am I just plain stupid and missing the point entirely?
Would every other (freelance) translator just jump to this opportunity?

Probaly I a paranoid, but to me this seems to be both suspicous and dangerous.


No comments:

Post a Comment