7/29/2010

Translation - telephone number

Translation - telephone number

Translators often get source texts that are more like lists of terms or sentencefragments that "real text". In such a real text usually the pieces BEFORE and AFTER certain sections, terms, phrases etc. are related to each other and refer forward and/or backward. THAT is frequently called "CONTEXT".

The material translators get to work on this "context" is often missing, or at least imcomplete. And that is then like I give you my telephone number as
875-xx46

That could be me, but you could also end up calling a whole lot of other people.Some of which are understanding, when you apologize for dialing the wrong number, while others may get really angry.
How am I supposed to know, if I call the right number, without knowing the persons name and/or his/her address?

Clients ordering translation would do well in providing that kind of information. Right now I am (again!) working on such a job. It is very tiring - and frustrating if later on claims come for not choosing the "right" terms ....

No comments:

Post a Comment